Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Godless Coffee

I found this article online after a friend told me I should check out what she had heard. So, what I am saying is this could be completely a farse. I will be really sad if this is true, but not surprised. Check it out.

"Michelle Incanno says she was offended by this quote on a Starbucks cup: "Why in moments of crisis do we ask God for strength and help? As cognitive beings, why would we ask something that may well be a figment of our imaginations for guidance? Why not search inside ourselves for the power to overcome? After all, we are strong enough to cause most of the catastrophes we need to endure." After reading that, she says, "I wouldn't feel right going back [to Starbucks]." (Dayton Daily News)

4 comments:

MikeT said...

So what? I don't go to Starbucks for philosophy, religion, or even common sense--I don't expect any of it there. I expect a good cup of coffee--particularly at their prices. And why should it surprise people that their spiritual beliefs might be rejected by others? Especially if you are a Christian--you should expect it. What is annoying is going to a "Lakewood CHURCH," a church that purports to be a Christian church, and never hearing the gospel or anything close to it. That is something about which we should definitely be disturbed. Yet we have many more "Christians" willing to chastise Starbucks and give the Lakewoods of the world a free pass.

thelittlefields said...

I concur. I never expected Starbucks to be a christian business, but I doexpect them to make good coffee. So far, tehy've lived up to my expectations.

Is anyone surprised that a business is not a Christian business? I have my doubts about even some 'Christian' companies, so I'm not at all surprised about Starbucks. They don't owe me faith, just some good cofee.

Jenny said...

Yup. I do not go to Starbucks for spiritual guidance either.

Anonymous said...

And can you tell I wrote that response in a baby stupor? It was written around 6pm so I can't really say i was tired, but i reread it and saw all my huge typos. Oh well. --Kathy