Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Testimonies

It drives me crazy when Christians say the dreadful words "my testimony is boring." That is like telling God he masterpiece he is painting in life is out of date and lackluster. How could you insult God by saying God's perfect plan for your salvation was a second rate plan? Anyway, I used to be one of those people that uttered those terrible ear piercing words and then God grabbed me. I am so thankful when God jumps in with road signs and urgent e-mails. I realized that my salvation was a beautiful gift from God.

I accepted Christ when I was very young. Often I ask myself why my life has unfolded the way it has; and as my faith deepened I came to understand small bits and pieces. Everyday I thank God for outstretching his arm to me when I was young to save from a life that could have been. I see evidence of his presence in my life every day. I can’t even count how many times he has interceded on my behalf.

It was not until later in life that I realized the full extent of God’s saving grace. “Our hearts are deceitful above all things and desperately corrupt.” (Jeremiah 17:9) The power to cover all of my sin, all sin, is miraculous. He justified my life by acquitting my sin to satisfy his wrath to receive his glory, a new righteousness was given. I am eternally thankful for his sanctifying grace.

Recently, in the last few years God has taught me so much. Of course, sometimes I do not always apply what I have learned and this I account for on the reason that I am in spiritual battle every minute of every day. All my life I have been told about the marvelous attributes of God, he is omnipotent, omniscience, omnipresent, and sovereign over all things, but it was not until lately I flipped the switch in my head for the light to come on. I feel that every breath I take is filled with his presence; I feel that he is so close I can close my eyes and fall at his feet. Two years ago one night when I was praying alone in my room, God spoke to me. I know that it is his will for my life to go into international missions. God’s timing is everything. I know that if he called me tomorrow to go overseas, I would not be ready spiritually. Sometimes I feel as if I am playing a game of tug-of-war. I long to serve Christ overseas, but I know His timing supersedes mine. I believe that every person has been given a mission field, and while I am in Humble, Humble is my mission field. I am only a broken vessel, and I desire that God would use me to do His work for the kingdom. I hope that every day I can passionately pursue Christ. I no longer feel tainted by the desires of man, but long for the “vast, ocean-deep pleasures of God.” (John Piper) I live because of and for Christ.

I meditate on all that thou hast done;
I muse on what thy hands have wrought.
I stretch out my hands to thee;
My soul thirsts for THEE like a parched land.

(Psalm 143:5-6)

No comments: